[extropy-chat] RE: TOP 2 IQ Percentile

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 26 05:28:59 UTC 2005

Greetings sudokuers,

I was the one who proposed the 50 sudoku competition,
but I may need to disqualify myself.  It is for a
*reallllly* wicked cool reason: I have written a
program that solves sudokus.  Clearly I have too
much time on my hands.  {8^D

This program cannot always solve the puzzles: the easy
ones it solves, but if it is moderate difficulty, one
must help it along.  But it solved one with difficulty
rating of diabolical, with my help only thrice.  This
puzzle I couldn't solve by hand: I kept making mistakes
end ending up blocked.  But the program and my brain
together solved it in 6 minutes.

I may be able to code up the meta-rules to make it
more capable, but I am not a good programmer.  Perhaps
you could do it.  I am willing to share this code
with your agreement to not make fun of my programming
skills.  Altho the code is primitive, it has some
really cool math in it.  It is a microsloth excel
sheet with macros in it.  It isn't that hard a task: I
started and finished it today, and I solved my first
sudoku Monday, solving a total of about 8 by hand.

Hey, that may be an even more interesting geek contest:
see who can write the fastest sudoku solving code.  Or
see who can come up with a sudoku that can be solved
by one's own program but the other guy's program cannot
solve.  Or have a hybrid competition: each person and
her program is a team working together, silicon and
carbon, against the other guy's and his program, in
a time trial with the same puzzle.

Post me offlist if you want a copy:  spike66 at comcast.net

spike