[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Sun Nov 27 18:43:48 UTC 2005

"gts" <gts_2000 at yahoo.com>

> Seems to me you are defining "intelligence" as [....]

I am not defining intelligence PERIOD. However I am perfectly willing to
point to things I think are intelligent and I'll let you work out what I
must mean. I've been using that general method to communicate since I was an
infant and first had the use of language and it still works pretty damn
well.

> I would say that a bacterium acts intelligently or rationally

Contrast is needed to see things, if EVERYTHING has a property then it's
invisible and there is no point in wasting perfectly good ASCII strings like
"intelligence" and "rationality" on it.

    John K Clark