[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet.

Brent Allsop allsop at extropy.org
Mon Nov 28 23:17:14 UTC 2005

Eliezer,

> You are overcomplicating things.  Does the "phenomenal" property cause,
> through whatever sequence, motor neurons to fire and your lips to utter
> the word "phenomenal"?  If not, then how do you know about it?  And if
> yes, then why isn't it a causal property?  This is what Robin Hanson and
> I think you're failing to get.

As I have said before, phenomenal properties are also causal.  Phenomenal
properties are in addition to the causal properties our cause and effect
senses can detect.

We are aware of a field of green leaves and a red strawberry amongst them.
Since we know the phenomenal difference between red and green, we are able
to will our hand to move causing neurons to fire causing our real hand to
pick the red strawberry.  This is how the phenomenal properties have effect
in this world.  If we did not know the phenomenal difference between red and
green, there would be no causal effect in the world and we would not be able
to find the strawberry and pick it.

Brent Allsop