[extropy-chat] qualia

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 03:18:14 UTC 2005

On 29/11/05, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> At 10:10 AM 11/29/2005 +1030, Emmers wrote:
>
> >The real cosmic joke on us of course is that this evidence would also
> >directly support the materialist theory, that reports of our qualia
> >have be greatly exaggerated. That qualia are just a figment of our
> >mental architecture.
>
> A pigment of our imagination...
>
> Damien Broderick

Talking of pigments...

Everyone here is aware that we can't *really* see the whole visible
light spectrum, right, that we can't tell the differences between some
colours and combinations of others?

For instance, if we see pure yellow light, it stimulates red and green
receptors in equal measure in our retinas, just like a mix of red and
green light would do. And in both cases, we presumably experience the
qualia for yellow.

Why? Why don't we experience red and green qualia at the same time,
when we see a mix of red and green?

--
Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com   * blogs * music * software *