[extropy-chat] PLAIN OLD PHYSICS

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Nov 29 04:43:26 UTC 2005

At 07:12 PM 11/28/2005 -0800, Eliezer wrote:

>Someday you will understand how qualia work.  And when you do, you are
>going to be WAY embarassed by the fact that qualia turn out to be PLAIN
>OLD PHYSICS, not mysterious physics but ordinary physics, just like the
>LAST SIX THOUSAND MYSTERIES that the human species encountered, from stars
>to phlogiston to elan vital.  That's what makes the mistake EMBARASSING.

SORT of. It depends, as always, on the EVIDENCE and the power of available
THEORIES. Until a bit over a century ago, scientists would have scoffed at
the idea of RADIOACTIVITY. If they'd known of its existence, they'd have
been certain also that it could be explained by PLAIN OLD PHYSICS. What
JACKASSES.

Meanwhile:

==============
Next June 18-22, 2006, the University of San Diego will host the 87th
Annual Meeting of the Pacific Division of the AAAS.  As part of this
wide-ranging conference (biology, chemistry, physics, psychology, marine
and environmental science), AAAS will host a symposium tentatively called
"Frontiers of Time:  Reverse Causation -- Experiment and Theory."

Frontiers of Time: Reverse Causation -- Experiment and Theory

Causality, the notion that earlier events can affect later events, but not
vice versa, undergirds our experience of reality and physical law.
Causality is predicated on the forward unidirectionality of time, however,
most physical laws are time symmetric; that is, they formally and equally
admit both time-forward and time-reverse solutions.  Time-reverse solutions
are distressing because they would allow the future to influence the past,
i.e., reverse (or retro-) causation.  Why time-forward solutions are
preferentially observed in nature remains an unresolved problem in physics.
(While the most convincing explanations invoke the second law of
thermodynamics or the expansion of the universe, in the end, purely forward
causation is an ad hoc physical assumption.

Some recent experimental results from the domain of parapsychology,
including human psychophysiological responses to future stimuli and
mind-matter interactions with random physical systems provide evidence for
reverse causation effects at the macroscopic scale.  While laboratory
evidence is intriguing, theoretical models to explain such outcomes have
lagged; those that exist have not yet made deep enough connections with
fundamental physics. Furthermore, even the most basic physical constraints
-- e.g., whether reverse causation is best explained by energy transfers or
simply by correlations without information exchange -- remain open questions.

This symposium will explore recent experiments, theory, and philosophical
issues connected with reverse causation.  In particular, it is hoped that
this meeting will help: i) generate better theoretical models by which
established experimental results can be understood; 2) devise new
experiments by which the underlying physics may be more clearly exposed;
and 3) establish fruitful research collaborations.