Spirits (was RE: [extropy-chat] Qualia Bet.)

Dirk Bruere dirk.bruere at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 15:33:57 UTC 2005

On 11/29/05, Herb Martin <HerbM at learnquick.com> wrote:

> *To Spike and Dirk:*
>
> *Spike wrote (earlier):
> > > recreationals, but not to LSD.  The 60s are over, it was bad
> >> medicine then, still is now.  Put that stuff away, too dangerous.*
> **
> *Dirk wrote:*
> > I disagree.
> > IMO the benefits far outweigh the possible dangers.
> > I'd also say that when it comes to damage most other drugs are worse -
> and this certainly includes alcohol.
> *What dangers?  Compare any supposed 'possible dangers' to smoking
> drugs (marijuana, tobacco) or to other drugs ingested orally such
> as alcohol etc.... (both legal and commonly acceptable.)*
> **
> *Seriously:  I once did a thorough review of the academic literature
> of LSD "dangers" and found that there were practically none (except*
> *for the obvious issues with operating automobiles and heavy machinery),*
> *and **that most of the supposed problems were actually urban myths.*
> **
> *So please be specific if you know of actual problems stemming directly*
> *from such use...*

There are two dangers.
The one most commonly considered is the triggering of psychotic episodes in
vulnerable people eg borderline schizophrenics.
The other is less easy to quantify or even describe. It is unhappiness at
having your worldview shattered, and not being able to piece together one as
satifying as the previous set of illusions.

Dirk