Spirits (was RE: [extropy-chat] Qualia Bet.)

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Tue Nov 29 16:52:26 UTC 2005

At 05:51 PM 11/28/2005, Brent Allsop wrote:
> > Whatever additional stuff you find that correlates with phenomenal
> > properties, how will you know that *that* is qualia?  We can already
> > look at brains and see that their activity correlates with phenomenal
> > properties.  How will this new stuff be different, so that we have more
> > confidence that it is qualia?
>
>When, in your field of vision you see a patch of red, next to a patch of
>green, next to a patch of a new phenomenal property that you have never
>experienced before (say a tetrachromat is effing to you who is a normal
>trichromat) you will know you are effing.

I don't see why messing physically with brains, perhaps even just via
ingesting odd chemicals, could not produce new phenomenal properties.
So I don't see how making this happen via some new stuff could be taken
as evidence that this new stuff is qualia.

Associate Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323