Spirits (was RE: [extropy-chat] Qualia Bet.)

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 29 17:55:05 UTC 2005

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 01:45:06 -0500, The Avantguardian
<avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> BTW on the question of spirit . . . what is it that
> makes, in nearly all cases of identical twins that I
> am aware of that live together and share an identical
> environment, one twin dominant over the other? If it
> is neither nature nor nurture, than what is it?

I wonder why you seem to think this is not an example of nature or
nurture. Humans tend to organize into hierarchies probably to avoid the
"too many chiefs, not enough indians" syndrome.

Also I wonder why you are defending elan vital. The pan-vitalism you
described to me in the qualia thread is not elan vital. In fact I wonder
why you consider it vitalism. You described a theory of life's origins
entirely consistent with ordinary science, but in which biological life
must have originated elsewhere at an earlier time. I don't see that you
need anything like elan vital to defend your theory.

-gts