[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet.

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 29 20:31:56 UTC 2005

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:06:50 -0500, John K Clark <jonkc at att.net> wrote:

> "Brent Allsop" <allsop at extropy.org>
>
>> Phenomenal properties are in addition to the causal properties our cause
>> and effect senses can detect.
>
> So on Monday Wednesday and Friday Phenomenal properties can NOT be
> detected by cause and effect and so on those days I suggest you stop
> using euphuisms and just call it a soul.

I think all Brent is trying to say here that all the objective knowledge
of causes and effects in the world (the sum of all possible scientific
knowledge) cannot reveal to A what it is like for B to experience qualia.
I agree completely. It's going to take some sort mind-meld technology to
do that, what Brent calls "effing", and even then it's possible that
something will get lost in the translation.

-gts