[extropy-chat] Qualia bet with Eliezer

Brent Allsop allsop at extropy.org
Wed Nov 30 00:29:52 UTC 2005

Robin,

> So in a sense I already agree with your #1

Awwwrrrr!  So we are basically in the same camp then!  You agree that qualia
do exist!  The other two were mostly just added in for fun and vanity.
Thank you for not taking advantage of me and my vanity!

The only difference is I don't like your terminology and some of its
implications.

A "probe"?  Surely we can causally observe things without a "probe" can't
we.  Magnetic Resonance Imaging doesn't use a "probe" does it?  You wouldn't
consider light a probe would you?  That is why I use the much more versatile
and encompassing: "Any Causal observation".

What the heck is the term "inner life" supposed to mean?  What is it
constructed of, what is it like, and so on?  What does an "inner life" have
to do with what red is like and how it is different than green and warm?

And the way you describe it makes it sound like it is impervious to
scientific investigation, hacking, enhancing, and all that critically
important fun stuff.  So are you also saying there will never be anything
like effing or sharing of anything to do with such an "inner life"?

Actually - this is a real good thing!  The more people that are agreed the
better.  That is if we are right and qualia really do exist - right?

So Eliezer, or anyone else not in the qualia camp - do you want to take my
bet?  If you are not against us - then you are for us right! ;)

Brent Allsop