Spirits (was RE: [extropy-chat] Qualia Bet.)

Dirk Bruere dirk.bruere at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 11:57:40 UTC 2005

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 12:48:25AM -0500, Gary Miller wrote:
>
> > Howard Stern claimed on his show on more than one occasion to have taken
> 4
> > hits of acid at once in college and had to be babysat by his friends for
> two
> > days before coming down.  He kind of got real serious when he talked
> about
> > it like he could remember how intense it was.
>
> I'm not sure why people suggest tripping hard will produce new insights.
> It's just entertainment on steroids. It doesn't have to be more dangerous
> than your other activities, if properly risk-managed. But God in a bottle
> it's not.

That sounds like something someone who had never taken LSD would say...
Anyway, to answer another post about toxicity. 12mg may or may not be fatal,
but it is over 1000x the qty needed for a trip (50ug). As a drug it has one
of the highest therapeutic indexes. Name anything else where you need to
take 1000 times the effective dose in order to kill yourself. How about
water? salt? and don't even think of aspirin.

Dirk