[extropy-chat] Re: Spirits

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 30 19:25:49 UTC 2005

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:36:10 -0500, John K Clark <jonkc at att.net> wrote:

>>> No. She already knew that. Mary knew everything possible about every
>>> related branch of science, then stepped into the world of color and
>>> learned something new.
>
> I don't really understand where this conversation is going. Do you
> expect me to say it's imposable to experience new things?

The Mary argument is a standard argument for the existence of qualia. Some
people deny qualia represent new knowledge. The point is to highlight the
fact that phenomenal knowledge exists, separate and distinct from what we
normally mean by scientific or objective knowledge.

One can argue that phenomenal knowledge does not exist, but if it does
exist then it seems that the part of the brain that acquires it works more
like camera film than a microschip. As I wrote previously,  the film sees
the color, the chip talks about it.

That "brain-film" is in my view aware, and in a manner analogous to real
camera film. I think the two are  equivalent, though of course
"brain-film" is more complex. As you know I think it makes sense to say
mechanical cameras are aware, though they are not self-aware and not
conscious and not alive.

-gts