[extropy-chat] Creating software with qualia

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Nov 30 21:43:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 02:08:55PM -0700, Brent Allsop wrote:

> When you talk about the knowledge these robots have - whether it is of the
> "physical" or "mental" they are still represented by abstract information
> fundamentally based on only arbitrary causal representations.

How is spatiotemporal spike firing between your ears different from
spin polarized currents and valves? It all is entirely abstract and
(only apparently) arbitrary, unless viewed from a first-persion viewpoint.

The simulated tornado does not demolish the machine room. It only
demolishes stuff within the simulation. Your superstition about qualia
is fully equivalent to people's confusion about simulation of reality,
with persons.

> We do very similar thinking things with similar different kinds of models as
> what you describe these software robots doing.  The critical difference is -
> all of our conscious knowledge or models are represented with qualia -
> rather than abstract information represented by arbitrary causal properties.

Malkovich malkovich malkovich. Thread full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.