[extropy-chat] Creating software with qualia

David McFadzean davidmc at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 22:13:45 UTC 2005

On 11/30/05, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net> wrote:

> One suggestion:  I kept stumbling over your use of "computational" to
> describe the more subjective model.  It seems to me that the other
> model was just as computational, but within the domain of physics.
> Might it be more useful to refer to them as the "physical" model and
> the "intentional" model?

http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~philos/MindDict/intentionalstance.html

Question for Hal, in your thought experiment do the robots necessarily
have qualia (in other words, are you saying philosophical zombies are
logically impossible), or are you stipulating that they do have qualia
as part of the thought experiment, or do we merely assume that they
likely do have qualia because of how they behave?