[extropy-chat] Total global capital tied to illicit drugs

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 1 16:45:48 UTC 2005

--- "Lifespan Pharma Inc." <megao at sasktel.net> wrote:

> I wonder just how many net  billions are involved in
> the supply chains
> from field to user for the
> world's  illicit drug supply chains?

-----------Excerpt---------------------------
No aspect of farming has grown faster in the US over
the past three decades than marijuana, with one-third
of the public over the age of 12 having smoked the
drug.

While the nation's largest legal cash crop, maize,
produces about $19bn (£11.9bn) in revenue, "plausible"
estimates for the value of marijuana crops reach
$25bn. Steve White, a former coordinator for the US
drug enforcement administration's cannabis eradication
programme, estimates that the drug is now the
country's largest cash crop.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,947880,00.html

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying." - Woody Allen

"Our hope of immortality does not come from any religions, but nearly all religions come from that hope" - Robert G. Ingersoll