[extropy-chat] energy from osmosis

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 3 00:34:39 UTC 2005

One other factor one should calculate in: capillary action should
reduce the 9800 m depth required, particularly if your pipe is a whole
lot of tiny pipes so as to maximize the amount of water contact with
wall surface (which is normally a problem with hydropower systems, you
want to minimize wall surface area, but not in this instance as we are
trying to create a potential difference, not exploit it, yet)

--- The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > The osmotic pressure of ocean water to fresh
> > water is about 2.4 MPa. If we put an osmotic
> > membrane across the end of a pipe and shove
> > the empty pipe down into the ocean when the
> > pipe reaches a depth of about 240 meters
> > fresh water will start colleting on the
> > inside of the pipe. We can put a pump down
> > there and pump up fresh water. Nothing
> > tricky here. The energy to lift the water
> > 240 m is exactly the same energy that would
> > be required to push the sea water through
> > a membrane at ground level.
> >
> > Now suppose we keep pushing the pipe down to
> > 290 m. The pressure across the membrane will
> > remain at about 2.4 MPa and this means that
> > the fresh water level inside the pipe will
> > rise about 50 m, so that the water surface
> > inside the pipe will remain at about 240 m.
> >
> > We keep pushing the pipe further and further
> > down, the fresh water column gets longer and
> > longer, but the top of the fresh water column
> > remains at about 240 m below sea level.
> >
> > No, that is too simple. Fresh water is slightly
> > less dense than sea water, so to keep the 2.4MPa
> > pressure differential across the bottom of the
> > pipe the fresh water column needs to rise faster
> > than the pipe sinks. Fresh water has a density
> > of 1000 kg/m^3 while ocean waters is about
> > 1025 kg/m^3. If the membrane end of the pipe
> > is down 1000m the freshwater column will be 785 m,
> > so the fresh water will rise to within 215 m of the
> > surface (25m higher than -240m).
> >
> > If we keep pushing the pipe down to 9600 the
> > fresh water will come up to sea level. If we
> > push the pipe below 9600 me fresh water will
> > spew out of the top of the pipe above sea
> > level. We could then hook up a water wheel and
> > have a perpetual motion machine. Now we know
> > something is seriously wrong, but what?
>
> This is an interesting idea, Spike. I at first thought
> it couldn't possibly be right but when I did the
> calculation myself, it turned out to be essentially
> correct. Using your figure for the osmotic pressure, I
> get a result of the break even depth for the pipe to
> be 9800 meters. Anything below that is a fresh water
> fountain that should go above the pipe. I think the
> error is caused by you getting the sign of the osmotic
> pressure wrong since that will give a constant term of
> -245 meters for the fresh water but at increasing
> depths it gets overcome by the factor 1.025. This is
> evident in your header as well since what you are
> doing is technically REVERSE osmosis as the osmotic
> pressure is actually being overcome by the difference
> in hydrostatic pressure between salt and fresh water
> caused by the higher density of salt water.
>
> This should theoretically work as Mike is correct in
> that there is a real potential energy difference being
> exploited here. There are some ways that reality might
> throw a monkey wrench into the plans however. There is
> probably a salinity gradient in the ocean with the
> saltiest water being deeper down. I ignored this in my
> [...]

Mike Lorrey
Founder, Constitution Park Foundation:
http://constitutionpark.blogspot.com
Personal/political blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com