[extropy-chat] Worldwide SOS system

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 00:55:44 UTC 2005

Here's a simple sounding idea...

I was thinking about the fact that people still get lost in wilderness
areas, in a time when we've got satelites covering the globe, taking
high(ish) resolution pictures of everywhere on the planet I think.
That's crazy, don't you think?

So how about this... set up a system for constantly analysing the most
recent high res map information, looking for a big "SOS" anywhere in
the world. Send any positive results along with GPS coordinates to
relevant authorities. Then people who get lost could build such a
thing out of logs or whatever they can find which contrasts with the
background, and have a good chance of being located and rescued.

There might be a better way to do this. But the idea is that the lost
person needs to be able to signal to the satellites, requiring no
special equipment.

This wouldn't work at sea of course :-)

--
Emlyn