[extropy-chat] Transhumanists' Needs

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Oct 6 08:01:01 UTC 2005

I think I am a bit confused by the question.  The below goes from
saying the mission is to realize the transhumanist future by
providing a product or service.  Then it speaks of needs being
crucial to identify for the success of transhumanism.  Success comes
from fulfilling the mission which was previously said to be from
providing services or products.  Then it asks for what we seed as
distinct from a product or service.  See the confusion?  I think from
some of the replies that I am not the only one confused.

I don't want to get into a discussion really about what is a product
and what is a need.  But I will try to answer with a few things I
think are needed to reach a transhumanist future,

1) intelligence augmentation at individual level and organizational
level for all sizes of organization.

2) emotional augmentation for greater compassion and seeing the best
for the other as essential to our own best.

3) The technological path must visibly and inescapable lead to ever
greater well-being of everyone.  If we can get that across and show
that it is real rather than pie in the sky then we will have won.

4) to see and treat one another as potential immortals of vast
intelligence and wisdom or whatever your vision of your eventual self
may be.  I believe we will treat each other much differently if we
develop that perspective.

  - samantha