[extropy-chat] Worldwide SOS system

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Thu Oct 6 21:59:34 UTC 2005

Mike Lorrey wrote:

>This is smart improvisational skills that people intent on surviving
>should get
>in the habit of. Products don't need to be built for what you use them
>for. The improvisational habit can take work to develop.

Some time in grad school, I reached an understanding of software such
that if a program existed or was suggested, I had an immediate sense
of how one might build such a thing. Maybe not the best design, but
one that would work. When I realized I had gotten to that point, it
felt tremendous.

I'd like, and am gradually acquiring, that level of grasp of design,
construction, and operation principles behind each of the objects I
use or encounter. Does anyone else feel that way?

Some of you, like Mike, seem much closer than I to MacGyver-hood.

What avenues (specific books, courses, activities, etc.) have y'all
found worth recommending for reaching that competence, in each area
you feel you understand? (Geology, construction, physiology, cooking,
combat, propulsion, etc. etc.)

-- David.