[extropy-chat] Fwd: [Fwd: Federal Government Aiming to Ban PrimeNumbers]

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 7 03:09:12 UTC 2005

> On 07/10/05, Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Today a representative from the United States Ministry of Freedom
> > Announced that the Senate is drafting a bill to ban Prime Numbers ...
>
> I'm assuming that Spike, with his unwholesome cohort of unamerican
> GIMPs sympathisers will lead the revolution.  Emlyn

Wholesome cohort.  For these numbers to be banned, we need to
know their identity, thus the effort.

Speaking of GIMPS, now is your big chance, but you must
act soon.  The vanguard of the GIMPS effort is now searching
candidates in the 9,500,000 decimal digit range.  You may
know that the Electronic Frontier Foundation (dedicated to
defending freedom in the digital world) is offering 100,000 clams

http://www.eff.org/

to the first person to discover a 10 million digit prime.  The
GIMPS effort will be in the 10 million digit range in about
8 to 10 months.  But when you sign up, you have the option
of requesting 10 million digit candidates.  If you do that,
you are only competing with about a thousand others.  But
if you wait around until this time next year, you will be in
competition with the whole GIMPS crew who did not specify
that option.  So then you will be competing with over 60,000
likeminded math-geek treasure hunters instead of only ~1000.*

Go to this site and follow the directions.

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

I've been running it 24/7 for the past 7 years on two
computers, it is safe.  And we have great parties!  With
guys like Ernst Mayer and Donald Knuth (yes THE Donald).

spike

*Yes I know there is a logical fallacy in that comment.  It
was a joke.  ----> {8^D  I left it as an exercise to the
statistics minded math-geek to find the error.