[extropy-chat] Futures Past

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Oct 9 19:56:04 UTC 2005

At 03:40 PM 10/9/2005 -0400, Harvey Newstrom wrote:

>On Oct 9, 2005, at 1:36 PM, Damien Broderick wrote:
>>
>>My take in the US edition of THE SPIKE (revised 2000, published 2001) was
>>this, at the close of my final chapter:
>
>These predictions seem much more reasonable to me.
>
>Do you have people agreeing with your timelines?  Or do you find most
>transhumanists telling you that you are too conservative?

Damned if I know. Although transhumanists sort of recognize the existence
of my book, I haven't seen much discussion of it. I suppose extropians tend
to see it as nothing more than a sort of watered-down summary of
discussions from this list. Mainstreamers tended to ignore it because it
was all that "made up sci-fi crap".

That's why it's encouraging, on the one hand, to see Kurzweil's book being
reviewed everywhere but, on the other, somewhat disheartening that it's
being received pretty much as if all these ideas sprang fully armed from
his forehead (an impression not entirely inconsistent with the tenor of
Ray's own presentation, cough).

Damien Broderick