[extropy-chat] Futures Past

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Oct 10 09:27:21 UTC 2005

Yes. Straight from horse's mouth: http://eugen.leitl.org/vinge-hard-takeoff.mov

> different than what we have now in many respects.  It is the old fallacy of

It is not qualitatively different in the respect that people are prime
moves and shakers. Singularity suddenly changes this. It is directly driven
by machines, not people. People are dragged along, left behind, or go
extinct.

> looking at a technology in isolation and forgetting that every other
> technology in society will co-evolve with it.  At what point does the
> Singularity occur from the perspective of individuals if they are an
> integral part of the system?  In many scenarios it would be as fluid a

The point is that a group of individuals goes into a fast-forward
regime the rest of them are unable to follow, being human primates
with little or no modifications.