[extropy-chat] Extropy, Political Viewpoint and the Future of ExI's List

Max More max at maxmore.com
Mon Oct 10 13:23:54 UTC 2005

At 05:33 PM 10/9/2005, Brett wrote:
>I sometimes wonder if things progress more slowly because folks that
>have made intellectual contributions in the past are reluctant to make
>only lesser contributions in the future. For instance I wonder if Max is
>less willing to right speculative stuff that might be wrong because it
>might be used against him. I wonder if he's sort of resting on his laurells
>with the Extropian Principles because to write something else might be
>used against him or might work to diminish what he has written.

What kind of thing do you mean by "speculative stuff" in this context?

I'm not terribly interested in writing speculations of the far
future, not because I might turn out to be wrong, but because I'm
more focused on helping to improve conditions for progress right now.

Nor am I particularly worried about turning out to be mistaken. For
one thing, I've almost always been quite cautious about making
specific predictions, doubting my ability to make accurate
off-the-cuff forecasts. If you think I'm so worried about changing my
mind, why did I publicly change my mind about politics -- something
that has upset some people to a remarkable degree?

Max

Max More, Ph.D.
max at maxmore.com or more at extropy.org
http://www.maxmore.com
Strategic Philosopher
Chairman, Extropy Institute. http://www.extropy.org <more at extropy.org>
Director of Content Solutions, ManyWorlds Inc.: http://www.manyworlds.com
--- Thought leadership in the innovation economy
m.more at manyworlds.com