[extropy-chat] Alternative to Cryo was The Amazing Cellular Repair device

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 10:11:49 UTC 2005

On 10/11/05, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> Don't try this with people. What would happened with
> your mice after 6 days? 60 days? 6 years?

They only put their mice to sleep for 6 hours in 80 ppm H2S.

> I wish I had a subscription. Does anyone have institutional
> access to Cryobiology?

See:
<http://www.rifters.com/real/articles/Science_suspendedanimation.pdf>

The Cryonics Society reviewed this article at:
<http://www.cryonicssociety.org/futurenews/index.php?p=12>

Among other comments they said:
Scientists at the European Space Agency (ESA) are investigating the
possibility of inducing hibernation-like states in astronauts sent on
long trips to the outer planets such as Jupiter and Saturn. However,
like other applications, this one may be some way off. "The
atmospheric approach to inducing torpor is a nice one because it would
diffuse very quickly in the body and saves you having to administer
something internally," explained Mark Ayre, of ESA's Advanced Concepts
Team at Nordwijk in the Netherlands. Mice do not normally hibernate,
but a similar state called clinical torpor can be reached by mice in
certain conditions when deprived of food.

"We have been looking at suspended animation to cut consumables - food
and water - on a journey that could take five years or longer. That is
important because missions are driven by the mass of the spacecraft.
The other thing is trying to avoid psychological problems. You can
have people awake, in which case you need to keep them entertained.
That means more volume and potentially a very large mass." He
concluded, "you avoid all that by putting them to sleep."

I like this as a form of time-travel into the future. Assuming you
have investments accumulating faster than the expenses of keeping you
in hibernation, you could go to sleep for a year at a time and wake up
richer every time.

BillK