[extropy-chat] Inside Vs. Outside Forecasts

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Wed Oct 12 03:06:51 UTC 2005

Robin Hanson wrote:

> It still seems to me that this group tends to base its forecasts a bit
> too much on constructing scenarios, and a bit too little on statistics
> about similar past situations.

It seems to me that there are *no* past situations similar enough to
permit an outside view.  For an outside view to work, you need data that
verges on i.i.d. - independent and identically distributed.  *Analogies*
to past situations are not outside views, and they tend to be chosen
after the analogizer has already decided what the results ought to be.
There *is* no outside view of when AI will arrive.   Anyone who tries to
pin a quantitative prediction on the date is just... plain... screwed.