[extropy-chat] Serenity: "...make people better."

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 15 06:40:44 UTC 2005

--- Russell Wallace <russell.wallace at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yep. After all there's 95% unemployment now because
> computers have replaced
> human "computers" (yes, it used to be a job title)
> and assembly line workers
> and clerks etc, and most of the population have
> starved to death...

Without the invention of the foodstamp would this had
been the case? Clerks are not unemployed because to
date computers are still only a medium and can't
generate their own content.

> ...meanwhile back here on Earth, that hasn't
> happened at all, has it? Why
> not?

Because of welfare systems and imperfect automation.

> Go ahead and declare your agenda to be the
> extermination of the human race,
> go ahead and declare your enemies' fear to be only
> that of unemployment, if
> that's your choice.

My agenda is neither. My agenda is sustainability
followed by interstellar diaspora.

> I'm inclined to wish you
> wouldn't, because I think
> Charybdis is deadlier than Scylla, but I have no
> power over you. But one
> thing you can never truthfully say is that I didn't
> tell you so.

I concur with your assessment that Charybdis is the
the deadlier of the two. But wisdom would dictate that
we chart a course that doesn't take us through that
particular straight. After all even in this early
stage of our evolution, we are supposedly superior to
lemmings. With foresight comes the ability to alter
the future. After all are we not trying to strip
Atropos of her shears?

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying." - Woody Allen

"Our hope of immortality does not come from any religions, but nearly all religions come from that hope" - Robert G. Ingersoll