[extropy-chat] Alternative to Cryo was TheAmazingCellularRepairdevice

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Oct 16 20:22:03 UTC 2005

On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 09:01:25AM +1000, Brett Paatsch wrote:

> The atoms that you are composed of are mostly the ones
> used by growing things. The organic chemistry ones.

Atoms have no identity. They are freely exchangeable,
and sometimes it doesn't even have to be right isotope,
provided it's stable and is not hydrogen.

> Organic chemistry grows well but extrudes baddly.

Organic chemistry is absolutely useless for both the
scan, the processing, and deposition of a copy.

(Assuming someone would want a copy of a cryopreserved
cephalon, I fail to see any motivation why one would).

> I don't see how any future technology could put your
> atoms back together by rebuilding the organic chemistry
> structures.

Here's an outline of a way:
	http://e-drexler.com/d/05/00/DC10C-mechanosynthesis.pdf

> You grew Spike. Your weren't put together in lego
> block fashion. The organic chemistry, proteins, lipids

The structure contains no information by which it was
created. Whether you grew, or were created from thin air
and dirt a few seconds ago there's no way for you to
tell.

> etc that make you up and hold your atoms in position
> only hold together as they do under certain limits of
> temperature and pressure etc.

We're talking about a chunk of tissue glass at 77 K
or below. This isn't particulary difficult to image
at molecular scale even today, the current limitation
is that this doesn't scale to the volume.

> If we could magically put all your atoms (the organic
> chemistry atoms) into a file, the take that file and
> magically recreate all the structures in the same place
> then I'd agree we'd have a perfect functional equivalent
> of the old Spike. But that process involves magic at
> a couple of steps.

If magic means "I have no idea how this would work" I would
have to disagree.

> Its not clear to me that you can make a new Spike like
> brain and body with a lego-block assembly approach
> any more than you can make say an ice cream out of
> steal.

It's not a living Spike, but a chunk of Spike frozen
solid.

> You can't keep the heat out of the reassembly meat.

Yes, you just have to deposit layer by layer, and
sufficiently slow (actually, I would just prefab most
of the molecular species and precursors, and reassemble
Spike mostly from stock).

> You can't get the nanobots if you had them small
> enough to get into the spaces you need them too

You don't need access to the volume. Both abrasion
and deposition occurs at the surface, layer by layer.

> in sufficient numbers fast enough because the organic
> stuff your building with (cos that whats your old info
> pattern was based on) will start to break down faster
> than you can possibly build it (even with magic nanobot
> technology).

Not at cryogenic conditions.

(Not that most of the above is just a gedanken
exercise, because nobody is going to do that in
practice. There are much easier ways to skin your cat).