[extropy-chat] Alternative to Cryo wasTheAmazingCellularRepairdevice

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Oct 17 07:10:38 UTC 2005

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 10:52:44AM +1000, Brett Paatsch wrote:

> I just took a *very* quick look. The diagrams look like tools tips
> intended for manufacturing.  But not for manufacturing organic

Yes. It illustrates a tool for a specific deposition cycle.

> chemistry molecules like proteins or lipids or sugars.

Use the above to build a pipeline of artificial catalytic sites
and active transport to synthesize the basic building blocks
of a primate. Transport molecules or precursors to deposition
site at cryogenic conditions, modifying them in situ if necessary.
Assemble bulk from legos via convergent assembly.

> Hard to say exactly how big the tool tips are (because what they

It doesn't matter, because they operate upon a flat surface, and
can be tilted.

> are to be attached to matters) but they look like they are already
> approaching a few nanometres in size already. I'm thinking 10

The dimer to be deposited is facing you. C-C is 154 pm, C=C is
134 pm. The tool is roughly oval in shape, and has a tip of
just two carbon atoms across. The volume excluded by the tip
is in Fig. 2.

> hydrogen atoms (daltons) are about a nanometre across. And
> the diagrams would probably be using carbons not hydrogens
> in the tips.

The tool contains carbons and hydrogens (turquoise and white).

> Is it really your view that this paper outlines a way of rebuilding
> organic chemical structures?  Or are you just sort of showing

That we can create and dissociate individual bonds under
numerical and monkey-driven (grad student) control is hardly
news. The question is how to deposit at a sufficient rate
to be able to build interesting structures, including some
or parts of the deposition system itself.

It is really my view that such systems can be built, and
we should be working on that.

> me that there is a new paper by Drexler?

I suggest you read it. It is really quite good.