[extropy-chat] Recipe for Destruction - Joy/Kurzweil NYTimes Op-Ed

justin corwin outlawpoet at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 23:21:32 UTC 2005

On 10/17/05, The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sigh. Of all people to scare-monger, I would have
> thought Kurzweil would know better.

Sadly, it seems that Kurzweil has been sliding into populist and
defensible messages since his peak, with the Age of Intelligent
Machines.

Teaming up with Bill Joy is just an extension of this, I think. He
needs a future he can sell, and have it be popular, because he
believes that people need to accept it, in order for it to happen.

Part of this is giving the impression that partial relinquishment is
possible, to paint a controllable view of the future.

As understandable as this is, it's still a horrible idea, and
completely insane precedent, without any attention paid to all the
implicit authority needed to control research. I have a rant on this,
for a non-technical audience, on my blog, linked below.

--
Justin Corwin
outlawpoet at hell.com
http://outlawpoet.blogspot.com