[extropy-chat] Alternative toCryowasTheAmazingCellularRepairdevice

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Tue Oct 18 14:32:07 UTC 2005

"Brett Paatsch" <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au>

> I don't think anyone will bother.

Could be, the only possibility is that some Jupiter brain will do it just
for laughs, it will after all either be absolutely imposable or very cheap
and easy to do with no middle ground.

> cryonics was a pipedream

Could be, but given a choice between no hope and slim hope I'll pick slim
hope.

Me:

>> Would it be  physically possible to make an Apple computer
>> out of vacuum  tubes or electrical relays that can run
>> modern software? Yes.

>  No.

Baloney.

> Because vaccum tubes are physically bigger.

Software has no idea how physically large the components it is running on
are; and as long as the timing is right it doesn't care how fast they are
operating at either, only the people waiting for an output care about that.

> At one point in the thread John did seem to want to argue that it
> would not be impossible to create/recreate a *particular* flesh
> brain with Drexlerian nanotech

At one point? I argue it still.

> So we agree that aiming to reconstruct a biological person
> in flesh is ridiculous.

Yes.

> You agree with me that its 'uploading or nothing' ?

Yes.

   John K Clark