[extropy-chat] Recipe for Destruction - Joy/Kurzweil NYTimes Op-Ed

Brian Atkins brian at posthuman.com
Tue Oct 18 18:15:06 UTC 2005

Eugen Leitl wrote:
>>I don't see anyone here bitching about having access to antivirus software.
>>You _would_ be bitching if you didn't have any. Actually you might not be
>>able to bitch because your computer would be taken over.
>

> I don't have any antivirus software. I don't expect any of my systems
> to be taken over any time soon.

But you do receive kernel updates and patched applications - provided to you
after the developers have had time to deal with the vulnerability in
private/closed lists usually. I don't think you would be as pleased if all
software security researchers immediately published a full paper and sample
exploit on all the things they find, and then got around later to publishing a
patch, oh, maybe a few weeks or months later.
--
Brian Atkins
http://www.singinst.org/