[extropy-chat] three coins in a fountain.

Julian Assange xyz at iq.org
Fri Oct 21 17:09:20 UTC 2005

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:10:52 -0400, "John K Clark" <jonkc at att.net> said:
> "Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <sentience at pobox.com>
>
> > Probabilities exist in the mind, not in reality.
>
> Before the quantum revolution we could say that with great confidence,
> now I'd say the probability is it's probably untrue that probabilities
> exist
> in the mind, not in reality. Probably. I think.

I don't think probabilities exist `in reality', but rather probabilies
reflect our lack of knowledge and reality puts constraints on our
ability to acquire knowledge.

You might argue that the difference is philosophical and it is, but
looking at it this way requires one less assumption so seems more
useful.