[extropy-chat] Nuke 'em

Julian Assange xyz at iq.org
Sun Oct 23 17:48:58 UTC 2005

The recent increase in oil prices have made the nuclear option even less
efficient. Construction and decomissioning are extremely expensive.
Insurance is unobtainable so all reactors require state subsidy to over-
ride legal liability. Ore extraction, concentration and shipment is
oil intensive and the reactor super structure is likewise made from
mining related products. Ionizing radiation causes structural defects
to any metal it interacts with, hence most reactor components have a
limited life and must be routined checked, replaced or decomissioned.
Natural distribution and proliferation concerns limit supply to a few
major players and shifting political arrangements mean cost-effective
priced supply can not be guaranteed for many countries. Nuclear
qualified employees are highly paid. Further, there just isn't that
much yellow cake to be had. Efficiencies of scale (say 20x the number
of reactors) will soon meet deficiencies of supply and although
proliferation and security concerns are mostly hype, they are not all
hype and they only go away with expensive engineering, personel and
government subsidised monitors.

If you re-cost coal fired power-stations to include the 3rd party
effects of Co2, sulfer-dioxide, fly ash, radioactive isotope release etc
then nuclear starts to look better, but there isn't the political will
to do much of this.