[extropy-chat] Solar math (was: Nuke 'em)

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Tue Oct 25 16:35:38 UTC 2005

--- Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 02:11:56PM -0700, Adrian Tymes wrote:
> > Math errors detected.
>
> Very possible. I hacked that out in a few minutes at breakfast
> before dashing off to work.

No prob.  I recall a certain antpower post of mine...  ^_^;;

> > would lead to a much lower yield.  But let's overlook that for now.
>
> Actually 6 kWh is reasonably conservative for
> http://www.eere.energy.gov/solar/images/map_solar.gif

The point was German insolation vs. US (average) insolation.  Germany
gets less, being closer to the pole, da?

> but this is
> order
> of magnitude, anyway.

True - even with the German/US difference (about 6 kWh/m^2 in US vs.
about 1 kWh/m^s in Germany).

> Only if you want to completely cover the energy input, industry
> included.

If you're going to cover a nation's power needs, you definitely need to
include industry.

> the more power to you.

Pun intended?  ;)