[extropy-chat] triangles

scerir scerir at libero.it
Wed Oct 26 08:59:17 UTC 2005

Marc:
> I think the solution to the math/matter/mind puzzle
> is that reality has *three* time dimensions,
> each time dimension being an *emergent* property
> of a complex system.

Aristotle called it 'hylomorphism',
from hule = matter, or sustance,
and morphe = form, or information.
(It is possible that Aristotle
thought that forms - informations? -
were emergent, 'evolutive' properties.)

According to an 'updated' version of this
'hylomorphism' there is, in fact, a difference
between physical states (i.e. quantum states)
and the limited information carried by these states.
http://www.arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0212084
http://www.quantum.univie.ac.at/zeilinger/foundations.pdf
http://www.quantum.univie.ac.at/links/newscientist/bit.html

For a different approach see Wheeler's 'participatory
universe': 'All things physical are information -
theoretic in origin and this is a participatory universe...
Observer participancy gives rise to information;
and information gives rise to physics.'

s.

"The only laws of matter are those
which our minds must fabricate,
and the only laws of mind
are fabricated for it by matter."
-James Clerk Maxwell

"Nature is earlier than man,
but man is earlier than natural science."
-Carl Friedrich Freiherr von Weizsaecker