[extropy-chat] Confirmed: Trees DO protect against tsunami waves

Alfio Puglisi puglisi at arcetri.astro.it
Sun Oct 30 13:14:20 UTC 2005

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, BillK wrote:

> <http://whyfiles.org/shorties/189mangrove/>
>
> Mangroves are dense stands of trees that are adapted to life in
> tropical, coastal wetlands. An estimated 26 percent of mangroves have
> been destroyed around the Indian Ocean through conversion to farm
> fields, aquaculture ponds, or from other causes, exposing the coast to
> accelerated erosion.

If I recall correctly, the name given to Mangroves by the indigenous
populations in some regions hit by the Indian Ocean tsunami is "the tree
that protects from the wave" (!), or something similar.

Those populations do not live on the coast, but only in the interior of
the islands. One wonders why...

Alfio