[extropy-chat] economics of scarcity to economics of plenty

Jack Parkinson isthatyoujack at icqmail.com
Mon Oct 31 04:01:56 UTC 2005

Since there was a good deal of comment on this issue of the economics of
plenty, I changed the subject line.

I don't think that *our* economics of scarcity generally has very much to do
with availability (or lack thereof). There is for instance, a fairly broad
agreement that there is enough food in the world to go around... Yet almost
a quarter of all people are starving - and another quarter are obese. surely
by any dispassionate measure this is a poor use of resources?

Scarcity is manipulated into being because it is good for business - the
best business is surely an unchallenged monopoly - with control of
availability and hence of price/profit etc.

This is what I was alluding to in mentioning the P2P networks, bit torrent
etc - they turn this business model upside down and  represent a miniature
economics of plenty - a model you might imagine as being extendable to the
rest of society. For this very reason these technologies are subject to vast
amounts of hostile propaganda, political/legal scrutiny - and plain old
pressure to cease and desist...

Further examples might be the development of Linux, the Wiki, the Opensource
movement, Copyleft, Creative Commons etc...

It was not so long ago that the promise of technology was abundance and
leisure - 3 day working weeks, automated production releasing people from
the monotonous grind for a life of richness. A generation later - that
promise has never been realized. In reality of course, the automated
production lines made their owners rich and their employees redundant.
People are now working longer hours - harder than ever for more years of
their lives  - certainly the 35 hour working weeks that once prevailed in
Europe and Australia are now mostly a thing of the past. And whereas before
it was only necessary for one person in a family to work - now it takes
two...

I don't see why we must always have scarcity!

Because there is absolutely no doubt that it it is divisive, and it does
create a double-tier society - EVEN when there is demonstrably enough for
all. A story two days ago on Alternet remarked on a survey that claimed that
more than half of Wal Marts quarter of a million employees cannot afford
basic health care - the same story also mentions that the Walton family
income earns in excess of 771,000 times the median US family income. This is
not good economics...

Don't get me wrong - I am not against riches per se... Some tenson between
rich and poor is motivating and helps drive healthy ambition. But an
economic model *should* serve the needs of a society. If it does not - it is
a failure in my book - no matter how spectacularly successful it is in
enriching a niche of that society.

Lines of robots producing cars and trucks while the former employees watch
daytime tv and worry about paying their power bills is also not economic
success... Full employment is economic success.

My thesis here is - though perhaps I have not formulated it very well in
this rush to get the words on paper - is that economics of scarcity is a bad
model. Not necessarily because of the philosophical implications of the rich
becoming richer and the poor becoming poorer - but from the pragmatic point
of view that it is inefficient, fosters conflict, and represents a poor
distribution model for any product/asset in society.

For minor examples of alternatives - look at how much better Firefox is than
IE... and how frequently it is updated, how customizable... Look at
Microsoft - a behemoth that takes 5 years to produce the next version of
Windows - Linux developers run rings around them...

Look at how it is now possible to watch any tv program in any part of the
world - and how the production studios fight this tooth and nail - even when
this is free to air tv! Because they want to maintain their control of
scarcity. The argument is often defined in terms of intellectual property...
but this is not the real issue in most cases. And lastly, to show this is
not the case, look at how authors like Cory Doctorow and musicians galore
are now releasing their works into P2P alongside traditional distribution...

Maybe the times are a'changin?

Jack Parkinson