[extropy-chat] re: news in perspective

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Sep 1 20:03:11 UTC 2005

On Sep 1, 2005, at 9:58 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 06:27:02PM +0200, Amara Graps wrote:
>

>> BTW, despite my comment earlier about wishing that the America media
>> put this in perspective, it seems from what I've read today that the
>> economic consequences could be huge. And I don't like seeing people
>>

> Economic consequences? It's just money. No amount of money can bring
> back dead people.

This is surely not the point.  There are many severe weaknesses in
the US economic situation.  I would give an 80% probability of an
economic downturn worse than 1987 in the next year.  I would give 90%
odds of an economic downturn of more than Great Depression magnitude
before 2010.  This level of economic event can cause very major
disruption of all of our plans, dreams and hopes and ruin millions of
lives.  Major economic crises also can lead to major wars.  This is
not "just money" or in the least unimportant.   Economic chaos of
sufficient magnitude leads to a lot more dead people.

- samantha