[extropy-chat] re: news in perspective

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 22:40:19 UTC 2005

On 9/1/05, Acy James Stapp <astapp at amazeent.com> wrote:
> Don't forget that the disappearing wetlands serve as a natural
> buffer against hurricanes by soaking up storm surge. According to
> http://hurricane.lsu.edu/_in_the_news/phillyinquirer100804.htm
> four miles of marsh can absorb a foot of storm surge. Katrina
> had an estimated 20ft surge.

See: <http://www.physorg.com/news6173.html>
New Orleans disaster serves up a tough lesson on environment

Twice in eight months, Nature has given Man a brutal lesson about the
cost of disrespect. Last December 26, beachfront resorts in Thailand
were swept away by a tsunami that could have been tamed if developers
had not destroyed coral reefs and ripped up mangroves, a natural
bulwark against killer waves.

On August 29, Hurricane Katrina swamped New Orleans, a city built
below sealevel, sustained by a complex system of dams and whose buffer
against storm surges, the wetlands of the Mississippi Delta, had been
eroded by reckless development.

<snip>

Rather than blame everything (even bad weather!) on those evil left
wing pinko communists, it looks to me as though rampant free market
developers are far more to blame. Making as much money as they can
while destroying 'the commons'.

BillK