[extropy-chat] re: news in perspective

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 2 00:27:26 UTC 2005

--- Amara Graps <amara at amara.com> wrote:

> Here's a bit of 'trivia' that someone pointed me to
> today,
> a video, from January, from the PBS program "Nova":
>
> http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/3204/02.html
>
> The video fairly accurately predicted what was going
> to happen.
> I wonder why the New Orleans area wasn't better
> prepared, given
> that these dangers were so well-known.

Because when the solutions to dangerous problems are
difficult to implement, we are reluctant to solve them
and instead, we simply live in denial of the danger.
"hmmm. . . is that smoke coming from Vesuvius? Well I
don't have time to worry about that now, I must get my
sapho to market." - Castigus of Pompei.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson