[extropy-chat] Re: peak oil debate framed from a gametheorystandpoint ?

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 2 05:24:58 UTC 2005

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of user
> Re: peak oil debate framed from a gametheorystandpoint ?
>

> On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Mike Lorrey wrote:
>
> > Insisting on agri-ethanol will push us back to a 19th century economy
> > and ecological devastation. Anyone who advocates it is a luddite who
> > knows not what they ask for...

User, I could see ethanol as a transition phase, where we add
more ethanol to gasoline over about a decade, to take advantage
of the infrastructure already in place.  We could use the
existing gasoline stations, pumps, etc.  Most modern internal
combustion engines can run on about 15% ethanol with no
modifications, and can go up to around 25% without too much
effort or expense.

An ethanol-gasoline mix could carry part of the load
while we gear up nuclear and coal fired power plants as well
as refineries suited to processing sour crude.  We will need
a few years to get cars adapted to use electricity.  Ethanol
could help get us thru the transition.

Here's a notion I had today.  Assume a temporary
oil crisis such as one caused by Katrina.  We know that
a 5% shortfall in supply can cause a huge and destructive
surge in price.  On the other hand, a small fuel savings
could easily cover a 5% shortfall in supply.  A government
could declare a temporary open season on what types
of vehicles are allowed on the roads.  Many homes have a
dirt bike or other small rec vehicle that could be temporarily
declared street legal.  We could declare a temporary 50 mph
speed limit for the month of September, in all but the far
left lane.  This might encourage people to ride bicycles,
motorized scooters, go carts and dirt bikes on the street
for a few weeks, just long enough to get thru the crisis.