[extropy-chat] Getting AId to people in need

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 2 13:59:13 UTC 2005

--- "kevinfreels.com" <kevin at kevinfreels.com> wrote:

> This whole article is crap. Indeed, why are so many of them poor?
> Could it be the spirit of entitlement in the area? The fact that
> everyone there xepects a handout? The fact that everyone expected
> that if anything happened, someone would take care of them?
> And who would be responsible for this? Me? You? The racist "american
> people"? This is crap. Their mayor is black. If anyone is responsible
> it is him. These journalists act like this is the result of some huge
> racial conspiracy. No doubt someone will say this was planned by
white
> people. This has nothing to do with race. It is incompetence and
> ignorance.

Sure is, but you know the media would rather point fingers at Bush than
at Nagin. Nagin, after all, spent millions trying to sue gun makers for
the crimes of criminals. The media is incapable of criticising an
incompetent black unless they are also an 'uncle tom' republican.

> I know I started this thread. and I just had a thought.
> These people have been sitting there for 4 days and yet camera crews
> and police cars can drive by? Why the hell do they just sit there?

Because government said buses were coming, and waiting to ride a bus is
a lot less effort than walking ten or twenty miles. After all, it's
governments job to take care of people, innit? Of course, a lot of them
are now pissed off cause it took three days to get enough buses there,
which is to be expected when all the population of a city with any
intelligence and initiative evacuates: those left have no idea how to
run anything.

Those complaining about the response should also consider that, as you
are wondering why your friends in the area are not emailing you, the
fact is that the entire communications system of the region is
non-existent. Thousands of trees down on phone and power and cable
wires. Cell towers destroyed, or dependent on connections to
now-non-existent land line phone services. Companies are just now
moving portable cells into the area.

> Sure, there are some who couldn;t make the walk, but by the looks of
> the peopole I would guess that most of those "trapped without food"
> could just walk out at any time.

A lot of those look like a few weeks without food would do them a world
of good.

Mike Lorrey
Founder, Constitution Park Foundation:
http://constitutionpark.blogspot.com