[extropy-chat] LASER: DARPA's HELLADS small laser weapon makes headway

Jay Dugger jay.dugger at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 16:31:44 UTC 2005

[snip]

> > IIRC the US and Israel were talking of deploying a similar system to
> > hit katyusha rockets fired at settlements. haven't heard much since
> > about it though.
> > Problem is that hardening munitions against laser energy is
> > relatively easy.
> > Maybe all hamas/Hezbollah would have to do is either polish the
> > rockets or
> > coat them in sawdust/glue. There is not an infinitely long time
> > window in which to down these things.

Sometimes you see weapons projects appear in the trade press or patent
applications, and then they go quiet for a time. This might mark the
development period. No sense advertising you've got a great idea if it
might not pan out.

> > I suspect that the reason it's being deployed on aircraft is to zap
> > MANPADS
> > like Stinger that rely on delicate sensors so more low level flying
> > can be undertaken in places like Afghanistan.

Raytheon has a very interesting fixed HPM defense against MANPADS. See
AvWeek in the last few months (email me for a reference tomorrow) for
details. The idea uses a high power phased array that runs from the
local electric grid to sense and attack the missiles in-flight.
Raytheon developed, IIRC, from classified HPM projects and on their
own dime.

Now you just need some software upgrades for AEGIS-class radar sets.
LockMart will either license it if Uncle Sam insists, or hold out for
a big fat redevelopment contract.

--
Jay Dugger
http://www.redcross.org