[extropy-chat] FWD [forteana] Re: Are dwarfs better for long duration spaceflight?

Terry W. Colvin fortean1 at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 2 22:03:49 UTC 2005

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 23:29:55 -0700, "Terry W. Colvin"
<fortean1 at mindspring.com> fwded:

I wrote:

Designing for absolute minimum weight aerospace vehicles is fraught with
problems...

Granted, however we are discussing only *scaling* as a function of the
needs of the astronaut.

<snip>

Two of my arguments about current space exploration projects are that
(a) their designers are obsessed with building to miniscule performance
margins and (b) they are monstrously over-engineered. You've only to
look at the problems with the shuttle orbiter's thermal tiles - they
only work as heat shields, not debris impact shelds, and it only takes a
tiny level of damage to severely compromise the entire vehicle. We
should be designing bigger, simpler, more rugged and more flexible, not
smaller, lighter and more fragile.

Designing a cramped, highly confining vehicle for an undersize crew will
never happen simply because of the sheer psychological problems of
cooping-up a crew in a baked-bean can for years at a time. Unless your
psychological profiles throw up hermit-types with agoraphobia and a
desire to return to the womb, then you're going to have extreme problems
from the moment you close the hatch.

Besides, bigger means that you can work with a number of economies of
scale - such as mass production and system duplication to make enough
redundancy to cope with discrete failures. It's all very well reducing
your air conditioning needs such that it can be provided by one CCU, but
if that fails and you've no fall-back then you're in serious trouble.
You're going to need prime systems and back-ups anyway. Larger devices
tend to be more efficient. There is a point that as you reduce the mass
of astronauts, a given number of duplicated support systems is not going
to get any smaller.

Indeed, why even stop at dwarves? Why not amputees? There's a lot of
redundant skeletal tissue in legs. We're starting to make serious
headway into tapping directly into the central nervous system. Why not
interface your robotic controls directly with the astronaut and do away
with limbs altogether? Then your space capsule would be the size of a
rubbish bin.

I'm afraid I'm not convinced.

We should be building bigger spaceships, with multiple cabins,
workshops, equipment bays and the like, so that if anything catastrophic
happens to one compartment it can be sealed off to protect the rest of
the ship. We want space ships not space canoes! Bigger is Better. Let's
go for Saturn Vs for the twenty-first century, not bottle rockets!

Another big no-no is sending a human crew all that way and not letting
them land. You might as well just send robots. The only advantage of
putting a human crew into orbit around Mars to supervise machines on the
ground is that it reduces the radio-transmission lag. And Mars rovers
have already demonstrated that they can be made smart enough to deal
autonomously with exploring without human hands on the controls. Again,
bigger spacecraft could support bigger, smarter, more versatile machines
with greated power and longer endurance, but what would you rather see
on the flanks of Mons Olympus, another robot or a human in a space suit?

Robin Hill (thinking of founding the Campaign for Real Space
Exploration), STEAMY BESS, Brough, East Yorkshire.

http://www.printcharger.com/emailStripper.htm

--
"Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress." Copyright 1992, Frank Rice

Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1 at mindspring.com >
     Alternate: < fortean1 at msn.com >
Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html >
Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
      U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program