[extropy-chat] FWD (PvT) An Anniversary

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Sat Sep 3 19:46:26 UTC 2005

Terry W. Colvin wrote:

>It's quickly becoming obvious that this will become the greatest
>natural disaster ever in the history of the US with a death toll
>usually reserved for less develop countries. Also obvious that all
>levels of Government have failed abysmally in their response. This
>is most disturbing for now Al Qaida knows how weak we are.

Watching the analysis of how the flooding of New Orleans resulted
from two small breaks, it struck me that a group opposed to us might
pick ordinary stress points in our system and attack them at times of
peak stress.

Wouldn't causing those breaks be a lot simpler than orchestrating
9/11? Yet the human and economic ripples are comparable or greater.
No particular PR value, but there are other goals an enemy might
have, and some foes might want to hurt us without exposure.

It also might be a great first blow in a one-two punch. Divert our
attention while they can get their main mission in place.

-- David Lubkin.