[extropy-chat] Re: peak oil debate framed from a game theorystandpoint ?

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 4 18:13:20 UTC 2005

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of justin corwin
> Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Re: peak oil debate framed from a game
> theorystandpoint ?
>
> Sorry for the levity, my serious friends, but listening to you two
> argue about this has a faint tinge of the ridiculous.

> MIKELORREY: I find your lack of faith...  disturbing.
>
> ROBERTLINDAUER: (his eyes go wide, and he scrabbles at his throat as
> the Invisible Hand closes around him)
>
> --
>
> apologies to Adam Smith.
>
> --
> Justin Corwin

Let them say their piece Justin.  I have learned
a lot by listening to this particular debate.

Here's an ethical question for you guys.  Suppose
I am a skeptic regarding the sillier stuff
we hear about global warming: that it was the
cause of the snowstorms in Los Angeles this past
winter, that it makes more and bigger hurricanes,
that it causes the genitals of the children of
outer Mongolia to mature at the age of four, whatever.

Suppose I am in a position to make money off of that
hype.  Would that be unethical?  If I don't actually
*contribute* to the silliness, but rather take
advantage of that which is already out there, entirely
thru free market reaction.  Do you see anything
wrong with that?  I don't.  I put it in the same
category as farm subsidies: I oppose them on
principle, but will cheerfully collect them if I
qualify, without a hint of shame.  Why not?  My
substantial tax bill helped pay for them, right?

Besides, global warming *might* contribute to
hurricanes, a century or two from now, so my
profiting in reducing that today is OK, right?

spike