[extropy-chat] Re: Ethics of contrarianism

Lifespan Pharma Inc. megao at sasktel.net
Mon Sep 5 11:47:56 UTC 2005

What I mean is that there are times when options can act so fast to
arbitrage such large values of price change
that they can act not as a risk managment tool but push the market to
extremes of high or low.

The beef market experienced  this at the time of BSE announcements.

I have not checked the exact timing of options moves in relation to the
combination of rigs offline, refinery shutdown and
general chaos surrounding the New Orleans hurricane but that case would
be a good test to see if these risk management
tools manage risk in a responsible way  or act to gouge value from the
market.

I can tell you the telemarketers for brokers who market the options sure
sell them as ambulance chasing moneymakers
even at the best of times.