FEMA/was Re: [extropy-chat] Fill it in a pave it over

Harvey Newstrom mail at harveynewstrom.com
Wed Sep 7 02:54:56 UTC 2005

On Sep 6, 2005, at 5:23 PM, Mike Lorrey wrote:

> One thing to consider is that FEMA has been successfully dealing with a
> large number of hurricanes in other parts of the country all year. Why
> is it that the one that hits NOLA is blamed on FEMA? Might as well
> blame it on HAARP, as some of the bunkertarian black helicopter nutters
> are doing.

I don't know why you say FEMA has been successful in dealing with other
hurricanes.  I doubt anyone in Florida would say that, including our
governor.  Their service has been abismal.  They still have not
responded to 20% of the disaster requests from over a year ago!  Many
people still have no homes and have still gotten no response from FEMA.
  They have been greatly criticized for not being able to respond.  They
are understaffed and underfunded.  They simply did not have any
supplies, staff or plans with which to respond.  They were created to
respond mostly to hurricanes, but their funding and staff have been cut
to a quarter of what it once was.  Now they are burdened with Homeland
Security responsibilities.  There is no Federal Emergency Management
ability left in this former agency.

--
Harvey Newstrom <HarveyNewstrom.com>
CISSP CISA CISM CIFI NSA-IAM GSEC ISSAP ISSMP ISSPCS IBMCP