[extropy-chat] The Hidden Luddite

Lifespan Pharma Inc. megao at sasktel.net
Thu Sep 8 13:57:57 UTC 2005

The Avantguardian wrote:

>--- Gary Miller <aiguy at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Actually a vaccine that prevents the disease in the
>>first place would be the
>>bigger money maker and result in the least risk of
>>the disease continuing
>>it's spread.
>>
>>In that way you don't limit your customers to those
>>who already have the
>>disease but rather a much larger group of the
>>general population that would
>>have reason to fear accidently contracting the
>>disease.
>>
>>More importantly the larger potential earnings
>>serves as a larger financial
>>incentive to the drug companies to perform research.
>>

>You would think so wouldn't you? The truth, however,
>from an insider's POV, is that nobody in the U.S. that
>I am aware of is working on a prophylactic vaccine.
>The vaccines which are out and being tested (none are
>that impressive) are all therapeutic vaccines for use
>with people who are already infected. There was a some
>buzz a few years ago about european vaccine that used
>an attenuated virus with a deleted nef gene, but
>apparently it was still capable of causing AIDS. But
>like I said, in the U.S., I am unaware of any at all.
>
>Aside from the economic luddism I metioned, I am not
>sure why this is the case. But another large factor
>has to do with the technical challenge of testing it.
>Apparently, the day that you can grab some kid at risk
>of infection off the street and test your experimental
>vaccine on him as Louis Pasteur did is long gone.

In my business we are going about our way to commercialize 2 main
nutraceutical ingredients.
One has ethnobotanical history but no current usage in humans, excluding
myself and current consumers
of a minor use  food product containing it.
The other cannabis has had a hiatus of usage since 1930 in North
America.  Some of its components are back in use but most are not.

How does one get large scale use to warrant human consumption but at a
cost that is
not one of 5-10 years of corporation subsidized trials?
One goes to the animal nutrition/supplementation market and
commercializes it.

Thousands of horses, dogs and cats populate North America.
Wellness in animals creates an affinity market over time in their owners.
In the horse business there are lots of owners who sneak a scoop of their
animals meds because they see that these things are  cheap , effective and
many times unavailable in the human market.

After 5-10 years of this, a commercial market supported data package
is ready to put to the herbal/natural health practitioner field.
They utilize the loyalty and trust bond they have with customers to
recommend things that may or may not be mainstream.

So , you can get pretty close to the Louis Pasteur way.

Of course the other way is to commercialize your wares in
China or India where the  marketplace is more willing to
put novel science into full commercialization.
ex- http://www.Sibiono.com 's  GMO adenovirus grown on stem cell tissue
cultures for cancer treatment.

Yes , you must shun or pass by North America for its paternalistic
protectionist
system which wants to provide total risk free lives. No risk=no change.

Hyperbaric hydrogen cancer treatment was killed 30 years ago for that
very reason and noneother.

Ethics say commercialize in North
American humans first, reality is the disincentives law and economics
make you say F**K it... its not worth the trouble.