[extropy-chat] Extropy and libertarianism

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Thu Sep 8 18:30:00 UTC 2005

Personally, the part that turns me off is the attempt to insist that
Extropianism *never was* libertarian.  I've made mistakes, and I've
publicly repudiated them and gotten on with my life.  The difficulty
would arise if I tried to insist that the Singularity Institute *never
had* been in favor of just throwing together any AI system that worked
without care for FAI.  Everyone is allowed to change.  No one can force
you to go on believing what you believed five years ago.  But part of
that is coming out and publicly admitting that, yes, an actual
disruptive update has occurred in your beliefs.  If I refused to say,
"By my present standards, Eliezer-1996 was a fool," if from pride I
tried to avoid the appearance that my past self had made a mistake, then
people would justly hold me to account for my past self's opinions.

Maybe I'm wrong, and it really is the case that ExI never was a
libertarian organization.  But personally, I'd like to see ExI come out
and say:  "We used to be a libertarian organization.  That was a mistake
and we admit it.  From now on we're going to be a transhumanism
organization that is not explicitly tied to any political viewpoint
except where it infringes on transhumanist issues, although our
philosophy of self-reliance and distaste for coercion is highly
compatible with libertarianism as philosophy."  So far as I'm concerned,
that would settle everything, and anyone who wanted to accuse the modern
ExI of libertarianism would have to produce modern evidence.

If you want to stand on principle, strongly and forthrightly, you must
forthrightly announce changes in your principles *as changes*.
Otherwise you'll try to simultaneously satisfy your old principles and
your new principles, and in the process water down everything you say.
That's what happens when people try to say things that satisfy multiple
principles simultaneously.

For the record:  I used to be a libertarian.  Now I am not a
libertarian, but I'm readily recognizable as someone who's a heck of a
lot closer to being a libertarian than to any other standard political
position.  In other words, my opinions actually changed from one time to
another.  Anyone who objects to my modern opinions can take it up with
my modern self, and anyone who wants to argue with my past self is out
of luck unless they invent a time machine.